If you are wanting to take a bond out on a house or finance a car, you need to have a good credit score. To make sure your credit score is healthy you need to check with South Africa’s 4 main credit bureaus. These include:
What is a credit bureau?
Credit bureaus in South Africa are ultimate guides to your credit report. You can compare your credit report pulled from all 4 of South Africa’s main credit bureaus in an understandable format to show you what you need to do to better your credit status.
They get their information from lenders and other sources. These lenders will also ask the credit bureaus for information about you before they decide to lend you their money. Therefore, you want to make sure you understand your credit report.
Different creditors refer to different bureaus so each one will have different information about you. Therefore, you should know what all 4 of your credit reports look like.
How can I check my different credit scores?
You can start by chatting to Moku – Meerkat’s friendly bot. He’ll provide you with a free credit report courtesy of Compuscan. Start chatting!
- Access to one free report per year through Experian’s CreditExpert service
- Or pay R21 for a month’s subscription or R145 for a yearly subscription.
- Their score ranges from 0-705
- You can get access to your report once a year for free
- After your one free report you will have to pay R40 for one report or you can pay R40 per month for a subscription
- The score ranges from 0-999
- Credit4Life lets you get 30 days free access to your XDS report
- Or you can join the Credit4Life consumers club which gives you access to your report for R99 annually.
You are legally allowed access to your credit report for free once a year from each credit bureau as per the National Credit Act. Once you have looked at your credit reports you will now know what you can do to improve your score. This will help you to keep onto of your finances.
If you have a poor credit score, check out our article on ways to improve it.
If you find you are falling behind on debt repayments, our debt rescue solution could be the answer. Find out more or call us on 021 003 4535 and we’ll discuss the right solution for you.Contact Us